PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifter stamp, 1964 vn. cat. 112

Alex_iv
09-02-2009, 22:40
To anyone who interested except me and Mr. Khai, with whom we start to discuss with topic by PM :)\

I suppose many of you for sure have weightlifter stamp of 1962. It's rather expensive, i bought it last time in Cotevina office in Saigon. But later here my colleague showed me his weightlifter stamp and it was much different - more yellow color, different scratch.. (look at the attached scan) and he said that he had this stamp from 1980-ties.

So i suppose he has original print and my is some kind of reprint? Or his yellow stamp is a fake? And such story rising a question - how many stamps Cotevina reprint like this? what quantity? How to evaluate they value now?

Thanks a lot in advance! Expecially for Mr.Khai :)

I attached stamps of my collegue here. I have the left one mint... ehhh :) Now need to get cancelled also :)

THE GUEST
11-02-2009, 22:15
Hi Alex,

I saw and filed the fake stamp which was sold on ebay recently. Please refer it as attached herewith. Give me your opinion after compare it with stamp of your friend.

Alex_iv
12-02-2009, 00:58
Yes, from my opinion they are very similar. It's hard to judge about color because of the scanner (maybe wrong preset, old lamp and so on) but in general seems they are identical. Is it possible that he had fake form 20 more years ago? Was the forgery production popular that time? :)
And can you please tell me more about original stamp (on the left)? How many copies was printed? is it hard to get cancelled one?

Thanks,
Alexander

THE GUEST
12-02-2009, 06:55
Hi Alex,

Please refer my four mint stamps as displayed. You could see which varies of stamps I collected.

Note : only with border margin of stamps you could see watermark of paper used !

I would find used stamps to show you soon. About quantity of stamps were issued (sold partly then withdrew after few weeks) I am searching related figure in books for your reference soon. See you :)

Alex_iv
12-02-2009, 19:53
Thank you very much for information, Mr.Khai!

THE GUEST
28-02-2009, 05:40
A used stamp bears post mark of Ha Noi post office cancelled on Sep. 19, 1962 (19 days after the first day of issue).

Alex_iv
02-03-2009, 01:12
I see, thanks. Later i want to have cancelled stamp for my collection also :)

THE GUEST
19-03-2009, 06:55
Yes, from my opinion they are very similar. It's hard to judge about color because of the scanner (maybe wrong preset, old lamp and so on) but in general seems they are identical. Is it possible that he had fake form 20 more years ago? Was the forgery production popular that time? :)
And can you please tell me more about original stamp (on the left)? How many copies was printed? is it hard to get cancelled one?

Thanks,
Alexander

1) How many copies were printed ?

I guess there were about 1 million copies were issued. Please refer this book:

There is no data for the "weight lifter" but we could refer datum of previous sets issued in 1961 for the stamps of 12 xu (pointed by red arrow).

2) Is it hard to get cancelled one?

Not easy.

Alex_iv
19-03-2009, 13:12
Thanks Khai! :) Interesting that before vietnamese catalog had circulations of older stamps. I wonder why now they removed this information because it's useful and interesting...
And i think if it was printed 1 mil copies stamp should be much cheaper... Because okey, they winthdraw it but it means if it was not destroyed it still lie somewhere. Last time in Saigon Cotevina office woman showed me only 2 available stamp and one was so so condition...

THE GUEST
10-04-2009, 20:03
In 2005, I had an opportunity to visit home of Mrs. Lien whose husband is Mr. Khánh, a stamp collector in Hanoi since 1950's. Mr. Khánh is old and often gets sick. His wife had started to sell out his collection. This is the first day cancellation on first day of issue of the weightlifter stamp. The house of this collector is located on Hang Khay street, next to the Hoan Kiem lake, not far from the Bo Ho post office. In the past, collector likes Mr. Khánh used to go to this central post office to take first day cancellation every time there was a new issue of North Vietnam stamp(s).

Alex_iv
13-04-2009, 14:09
Thanks Khai! :)
I wish to visit Hanoi again also. Last (and the only) time i was there it was 2004. We were near Hoan Kiem lake and actually seems that time i skipped post office :) Was not so interested in stamps that moment.
Does wife of Mr. Khanh still sell something? :) I hope maybe buy something later.

By the way - i asked about real postal covers with 2 stamps you need. so far no luck... Seems people here mostly collect FDC.