Quay lại   Diễn đàn/Forum VIET STAMP (VSF) > GIẢI TRÍ - THÔNG TIN TỔNG HỢP > Lang thang lượm lặt > Chuyện lạ bốn phương

Trả lời

Công Cụ Hiển Thị Bài
Cũ 28-04-2010, 21:46
vnmission vnmission vẫn chưa có mặt trong diễn đàn

Ngày tham gia: 05-04-2008
Bài Viết : 1,370
Cảm ơn: 2,251
Đã được cảm ơn 11,379 lần trong 1,353 Bài
Mặc định Tìm lại bộ tem bị mất trộm

Một bộ sưu tập tem bị mất trộm? Ở Mỹ, việc tiêu thụ bộ sưu tập đó, dù là sau vài ngày hay vài thập kỷ, vẫn có thể bị phát hiện, nếu thông tin về bộ sưu tập đó được cung cấp đầy đủ cho các dealers!

CITIZEN JUSTICE:
Daughter takes father's stolen stamps case into her own hands

April 27, 2010

By JENNIFER JOHNSON jjohnson@pioneerlocal.com

When she discovered her late father's lifelong stamp collection had been stolen from her Park Ridge condominium's storage locker, Cindy resolved to get the collection back.

And she did.

Unhappy with what she viewed as a less-than-enthusiastic response from the Park Ridge police officer who took the initial theft report, Cindy, who asked that her last name not be used, took it upon herself to catch the thief, especially when another police officer told her investigators had little to go on.

"I said, 'Don't worry about it, sir. I'll be solving the case myself,'" Cindy recalled. "No one is taking my dad's stamps, no way."

The stamps, which filled numerous boxes, were stolen between January and April from a storage locker at Bristol Court condominiums. Cindy discovered the theft on April 10, but noted there was no indication the lock had been tampered with.

"My dad had been collecting stamps for 60, 70 years," she explained. "All these stamps were in there and they took every last one of them."

After reporting the theft to police, Cindy retrieved samples of her father's stamp collection which had been stored elsewhere and brought them to Stamp King, a store dedicated to the sale of collectible stamps on Chicago's Northwest Side. Cindy's hope was that whomever had her father's stamps would try to sell them to the store, and because her father's collection was uniquely categorized, the stolen stamps would be easily identified based on the samples she had shared.

Cindy's theory was right on. Just three days after she discovered the stamps stolen, a man entered Stamp King, 7139 W. Higgins Road, with a portion of her father's collection, trying to make a sale, said Park Ridge Police Cmdr. Lou Jogmen. The man, who presented identification to the clerk in order to make the sale, was told to come back the following day when an offer would be available for him. When he returned, Cindy had already identified the stamps he was trying to sell as belonging her father's collection and police were waiting at the shop to take him into custody.

The man, identified as Adam Momot, 26, of the 5300 block of North Cumberland Avenue, Chicago, was arrested and charged with possession of stolen property, Jogmen said. He said it is unclear how Momot came to acquire the stolen stamp collection.

Once Momot was in custody, Cindy said police located the remainder of her father's stamps and returned them to her.

"I am so, so thrilled," Cindy said last week. "That was my dad's whole life. That is what he did every day of his life: buy stamps. I didn't care what they were worth. The point was that they meant everything to my dad and I had to get them back no matter what."

Stamp King owner Charles Berg said the stamps Momot allegedly tried to sell had a value of about $900.

This wasn't the first time stolen merchandise was recovered after it found its way to Stamp King. In 2006, the shop made headlines around the world after Berg recovered a very rare -- and very valuable -- 1869 Lincoln stamp and envelope that had been stolen 40 years earlier from a private collection in Indiana.

Known as the Ice House Cover, the artifact, which collectors at point believed was worth at least $1 million if found, was brought into Berg's shop by a couple who had just cleaned out a relative's house. When Berg spoke to a local dealer on the phone and discovered exactly what the couple had handed him, he asked the dealer to call the police. The item was so valuable that FBI agents also responded to claim it.

The couple who tried to sell the stamp at Stamp King were not charged with a crime, and the Ice House Cover ended up selling at auction last year for $375,000.

More recently, a collection stolen from a stamp dealer at Midway Airport was also recovered after it too was brought to Stamp King by someone trying to make a sale, Berg said.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/parkridg...910-s1.article
Trả Lời Kèm Trích Dẫn Bài Này
8 Thành viên sau đây nói lời CẢM ƠN bạn vnmission vì đã gửi Bài viết hữu ích này:
Dat_stamp (26-10-2011), hat_de (01-05-2010), huynhthanhloi (18-05-2010), lamngoc (29-04-2010), manh thuong (30-04-2010), The smaller dragon (28-04-2010), tiny (28-04-2010), tugiaban (29-04-2010)
Trả lời

Công Cụ
Hiển Thị Bài

Quyền hạn của Bạn trong mục này